Monday, February 9, 2009

Valparaiso, Chile - Day 3

Today was a blog day while I awaited the New Years Eve festivities in Valparaiso. The city is the site of the largest fireworks display in the world. More than a million people flock from around the world to Valparaiso to watch 20 tons of fireworks go off from seven locations throughout the pier. For me, fireworks are often very similar. Regardless of the location, most shows have a similar bouquet of fireworks with some being slightly longer or slightly higher or slightly more elaborate. But at the end of the day, they kind of look the same. Valparaiso was like watching 7 shows at the same time in a wrap around IMAX theater. Because they shot the fireworks off from multiple spots along a half moon shaped bay and because they spent an exorbitantly excessive amount of money during this global economic crisis, the show was an amazingly coordinated display unlike anything that I’ve ever seen before. And I forgot my camera.

No comments: