Friday, February 6, 2009

Santiago, Chile - Day 2

So here are some things that I’ve learned about Argentina and Chile so far while traveling.

1. Most stores close between 2-6pm for a siesta so it’s really hard to purchase things or plan anything during this time. If you’re gushing blood and you need a bandage, tough luck wait until 6pm.
2. Most restaurants do not open for dinner until 8pm. Get a snack.
3. Argentineans eat a huge meal really late at like 10 or 11 pm so restaurants do not get packed until then.

Today I learned that in Santiago, restaurants are closed for dinner on Sunday.

I’ve been craving sushi for a long time and there was a sushi restaurant right next to where I was staying. I noticed it after walking back home the night before from a really crappy Korean restaurant. The Korean food was rather authentic, the place was run by Koreans, and only Koreans were in the restaurant. But the seafood tofu stew that I ordered was horrible, the shrimp were half rotten and the tofu somewhat grainy.

On the way back from that restaurant I passed this Japanese restaurant next to where I was staying. It was packed with people. Good sign. Packed with Asian people. Even better sign. So I decided to give it a try the following night. I went to the Santiago zoo, climbed up a mini mountain for a view, checked out a pre Columbian museum, and worked on my blog. In anticipation of my sushi dinner, I had forgone a large lunch and had a snack instead. After working on my blog, I exit my building promptly at 8pm, turn right, walk down the block and low and behold the restaurant is closed! WHHHHAT?!? What’s going on? I checked the time, it’s past 8 pm so the restaurant should be open. It’s Sunday? Japanese restaurants are closed on Sundays! No wait a minute ALL restaurants are closed on Sunday evenings! So like no one eats on a Sunday?

So I’m wandering around Santiago trying to find something to eat and I run into a Chinese restaurant…and it’s open. Just like in the states on Christmas and Thanksgiving, Chinese restaurants seem to open when others close. That’s work ethic.

Santiago, Chile - Day 2

No comments: