Friday, February 20, 2009

Salta, Argentina - Day 1

I arrived to Salta early in the morning on an overnight bus from Mendoza so I took a nap and then hit the town to explore. I went to a couple museums, and a lookout point on top of a hill. I think of all the Argentinean cities that I’ve visited so far, Salta has the most indigenous culture and charisma to the city, both the architecture and its people.

The fun part of the day was taking an empanada class at the hostel in the evening. We made both fried and baked empanadas. One of the telltale characteristics of empanadas from Salta is that the meat and other ingredients are chopped into very fine cubes and not ground. They also add a decent dose of cumin which adds a lovely flavor and a ton of lard – wahoo! Pork fat can make cardboard taste good. Lard may be the best condiment ever after ketchup. Just like ketchup it works on pretty much everything! OK everything savory. I can’t wait to reproduce those tasty suckers back home.

Salta, Argentina - Day 1

No comments: