Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bariloche, Argentina - Day 1

So up to this point, I’ve been traveling by plane and haven’t had to step foot on a bus yet. I did some research while in the USA before I left on my trip and discovered that Argentina is the size of India and Brazil is the size of the United States. While I knew that these were large countries, I didn’t quite grasp the immensity until after flipping through my guide book. The thing that scarred me the most was the accompanying 22-36 hour bus rides that were necessary to get from place to place mainly in Brazil and Argentina. So being the wussy pampered tourist that I am, I promptly purchased an All Brazil and All Argentina Air pass.

So for air travel, no Spanish is needed, none zippo nada. Hostel calls taxi, taxi to the airport, and everything in the airport is in English. However, my flying would be coming to a swift end in Bariloche. From Bariloche, which is in the middle left half of Argentina, all the way up to Ecuador, I would be predominately taking buses with a couple flights here and there. So I figured now would be as good a time as any to learn some Spanish. I had heard from a couple travelers that Bariloche was a good place to learn Spanish as there are a lot of other things to do in the city when you’re not taking classes. So today I spent most of the day walking around and talking to a couple Spanish schools. I decided to enroll in La Montana for a week of Spanish. Hopefully that will give me an inkling as to what’s going on in the world around me and make the bus travel a bit smoother.

Bariloche, Argentina - Day 1

No comments: